U.S. Marine Corps photo by courtesy photo/Released 000000-O-0000O-000.jpg
Aug 22, 2011
The Marine Memorial Club was built in the 1920’s, a Beaux-Arts hotel in the heart of San Francisco’s theater district. The club started life as the Western Womens’ Club, one of four exclusively womens’ clubs in the city. The Depression hit and the club needed revenue. It just happened that about the same time, the Navy was enlisting more women into service and needed a safe place to house them. Soon, the Western Womens’ Club became the barracks for the Navy’s WAVES, short for Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service. ::r::::n::::r::::n::::r::::n::
No camera details available.
This photograph is considered public domain and has been cleared for release.
If you would like to republish please give the photographer appropriate credit.
Further, any commercial or non-commercial use of this photograph or any other
DoD image must be made in compliance with guidance found at
which pertains to intellectual property restrictions (e.g., copyright and
trademark, including the use of official emblems, insignia, names and slogans), warnings
regarding use of images of identifiable personnel, appearance of endorsement, and related matters.